'Zakka Style' Patchwork Ribbon


This past weekend, was the demonstration for ‘Patchwork Ribbon’, which is one of the projects featured in a book I recently purchased from my local quilt shop called “Zakka Style”.  


As I stated in a previous post, I love this book because it has lots of simple projects that have a modern feel to them.  This is a great project for using up all your Christmas scraps or any fabric scraps for that matter – I had lots of fun making the sample because you can really go crazy with embellishing. 



I thought I would share some pictures I took while working on the samples for the demonstration and share some tips.

The first sample I made is made up of various sized fabric scraps.  As per the instructions in the book, I started with the smallest scraps first - sewing them together, squaring them off and adding larger scraps.  I didn’t really worry about putting them in any particular order.  I sewed the scraps together until I had a piece that was about the size of a Fat Quarter (18” x 22”). 


Then it was time for the fun part!  I experimented with different stitch functions on my sewing machine and even added some Christmas ribbon and red ric rac I had.  

After I was satisfied with the embellishments I cut the fabric on the bias.  


I started to cut 1” wide strips as recommended by the book.  After cutting the second strip – I was a little worried about the stitching coming undone, so I decided to add light weight fusible interfacing to the back of the remainder of my patchwork bock and then continued cutting it into 1” strips.

The fabric block yielded quite a bit of strips see…



(sorry I didn’t count) then it was time to sew the ends together to create one really long strip.

I wanted to sew them on the bias – so I used the same method you would use when creating binding for a quilt - which is always tricky for me because I can never seem to remember how you position the strips.  :-P

Basically, you need to lay the strips together, right sides facing and matching up the ends of the strips to form a right angle.  

I stitched the ends using a ¼” seam allowance.




Once all my strips were stitched together, I folded the strip in half width wise and cut it into two long strips at the fold.
 
Then I placed the strips wrong sides facing and used a zig zag stitch to help reduce fraying.  I was pretty happy with the end result except I did notice that the interfacing seemed to add a little too much stiffness - so I may try making another strip without interfacing.


For my second sample, I sewed strips of fabric together that I had leftover from the kits I made for my Quilted Christmas Ball tutorial.  Even though I ended up sewing longer strips together, the effect was just as great when I cut the block on the bias – so feel free to try the project this way – it was actually a little faster.  I decided to cut the strips a little wider – 2” – so I could make a nice big bow with it. 

All in all this is a great project for using up your scraps and adds a nice handmade touch to any gift!

Until next time…Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...